According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, texting and driving killed 3,166 people in 2017 alone. Thousands more suffer injuries as a result of texting and driving. Texting and driving is a form of distracted driving. Anything that takes a person’s hands or eyes off the road can put other road users in danger and can increase the risk of accidents. Distracted driving is defined quite broadly by the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration. It includes texting, emailing, entering information into a navigation application, or performing any action that occupies your hands and eyes while driving.
It is against the law in Florida to text and drive. However, Florida defines its texting and driving laws quite narrowly. It isn’t technically illegal to send a text while the car is not in motion (while stopped at a red light) and it isn’t illegal to use navigation devices while driving. That said, if drivers get into crashes while using their phones behind the wheel, they could be held legally responsible for any injuries or losses another party sustains as a result. The Law Offices of Oscar Syger are texting and driving accident lawyers in Boca Raton, Florida who may be able to assist you if you or a loved one were injured in this type of accident. You and your family might be entitled to seek damages for your lost wages, medical expenses, pain and suffering, and other losses. Contact our texting and driving lawyers in Boca Raton, Florida today to learn more.
How Can a Texting and Driving Accident Lawyer Prove Texting and Driving in My Crash?
One of the challenges of a texting and driving claim is proving that the other driver was texting and driving. Not all drivers might admit to texting and driving and by the time an accident takes place, a driver might have put down his or her phone. You might suspect that the other driver might have been distracted behind the wheel, but how can a texting and driving accident lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida prove this? Here are some ways:
- Accessing Records of the Driver’s Phone Use. If you suspect that another driver might have been texting and driving in a crash, and you or someone you love were seriously injured, your lawyer may be able to get access to the driver’s phone records, in certain circumstances. The Law Offices of Oscar Syger are Boca Raton, Florida texting and driving lawyers who may be able to investigate your accident and explore all avenues for proving your case.
- Reviewing Social Media. Sometimes individuals post on social media while driving. Many social media accounts can be accessed publicly. If an individual posted on social media while driving, your texting and driving lawyer may be able to use this as evidence in a texting and driving personal injury case. Another way a texting and driving lawyer can investigate your case is by asking witnesses if the driver was texting or calling them during the time the accident took place.
- If there are cameras at intersections or if your accident took place in a parking lot where there are cameras present, cameras might have captured the other driver texting behind the wheel. The Law Offices of Oscar Syger are texting and driving lawyers in Boca Raton, Florida who may be able to use camera evidence to support your case.
- If other people saw your accident take place and observed that the driver was texting and driving, witness testimony could also support your texting and driving case.
- History of Texting and Driving. If the driver involved in your accident has many citations for texting and driving or has a history of texting and driving, this evidence could potentially be used in your texting and driving claim.
These are just some of the ways a texting and driving law firm may be able to assist you with your claim in Boca Raton, Florida. Every claim is unique. It can be helpful to have a texting and driving lawyer in Boca Raton, Florida on your side. The Law Offices of Oscar Syger understand firsthand how devastating these kinds of accidents can be for victims and their families. You may only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law. Contact the Law Offices of Oscar Syger today. Our attorneys can take a look at your situation, offer you an honest assessment of your claim, and determine whether you have a case.
Texting and Driving: A Growing Epidemic
According to the National Safety Council, 38% of teens admitted to texting and driving. Though many of us understand the dangers of texting and driving, not all drivers are able to resist picking up the phone when they hear the ping of a message. Many drivers admit to texting and driving, though many drivers admit to understanding the risks. Studies have found that whenever we get a message on our phone, our brains are flooded with “feel good” chemicals. We are rewarded for checking our phones. Resisting the urge to check one’s phone, even while driving, can be incredibly challenging. This is why many phones have applications that can disable the device while individuals are driving and why many others choose to place their phone in a hard-to-reach location while driving.
While the resisting the urge to text or check one’s phone while driving can be a challenge, failing to do so can result in serious accidents. The Law Offices of Oscar Syger are texting and driving lawyers in Boca Raton, Florida who work with individuals who have been injured as a result of another person’s choice to text and drive. When families fight back against this behavior, they send a strong message to the community: texting and driving won’t be tolerated. If you or a loved one have been hurt in an accident, and you believe texting and driving might have been a factor, the Law Offices of Oscar Syger may be able to assist you. Contact our firm today to learn more about your rights and options under the law.